Looking for some pumpkin decor to spice up your home this Fall? Make this DIY Dollar Store Pumpkin Banner with the easy to follow tutorial. Add some Fall farmhouse flare to your home with this adorable, easy pumpkin upcycled sweater craft.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any extra for making a purchase through these links but we earn a commission for purchases made through links. You can read more about it in our full disclosure.
DIY Dollar Tree Pumpkin Banner Tutorial
I love pumpkin decor in the Fall because I can put it up in October and leave it until Thanksgiving. Personally, I try not to keep too many decorations because I don’t have tons of storage in my small house. Pumpkins are a great choice for minimalist decor because they work for two holidays.
Just last week, I showed you all how to make a Pumpkin Hoop Wreath out of an old sweater. After making the wreath and two sweater pumpkins, I still had sweater left over. I remembered seeing some cute wood pumpkin cut outs at the Dollar Tree that were the perfect blank canvas. I picked up a set, along with some felt leaves, thinking they’d make a great Fall banner.
This DIY Pumpkin Banner is incredibly easy to make. It can be thrown together in about 30 mins with minimal supplies. It’s versatile just like most of our crafts so you can make it match the Fall decor you already have in your home.
Supplies Needed to Make a Pumpkin Banner
- Wood Dollar Tree Pumpkins – These come in a five pack
- Dollar Tree Felt Leaves – if you want. They aren’t necessary for the banner. I just like the pop pf color they give.
- Twine or Ribbon
- Fabric, Paper, or Paint to cover your pumpkins.
- Fabric Scissors
- Glue – any craft glue will work. I used Elmer’s Craft Bond spray adhesive.
Decide how you want your banner to look before you buy your supplies. You can paint your pumpkins instead of covering them with material. If you do that then you won’t need to buy fabric.
You also have the option of covering your dollar store pumpkins in decorative paper which would be cheaper than buying fabric. Or you can do what I did and use up some old fabric in Autumn colors.
It would also be easy and cute to paint the wood pumpkins and then tie strips of fall colored fabric between each pumpkin instead of using the Dollar Tree felt leaves. I’m showing you one way your Pumpkin Banner could turn out but if you get creative then the possibilities are endless!
Making Your Fall Banner
1. You want to start by tracing your pumpkin pattern on the fabric or by painting your pumpkins.
2. Next, cut out your fabric or paper if that’s what you are using. I wanted some of the wood pumpkin to show around the edges because I think it gives the banner a worn and cozy look. I cut my fabric inside the trace line to get a smaller fabric cut.
Cutting a pattern out on sweater material can be tricky, just so you know. Don’t expect it to be perfect. If you’re using a smooth fabric or paper it’s much easier to get a clean look.
3. Glue your fabric onto your wood pumpkins. Make sure to press hard so the fabric really sticks to the pumpkins.
4. Let your pumpkins dry and then thread them on to your twine or ribbon. The Dollar Tree pumpkins already have holes cut out at the top so I used them. This will give your pumpkins a slight angle making it hard for them to lay completely flat.
If you don’t like that look then you can glue the backs of your decorated pumpkins onto the twine or ribbon. Just make sure to glue them on towards the top of the pumpkin so they aren’t top heavy.
Hanging Your Dollar Store Pumpkin Banner
That’s all there is to it friends! A pretty simple DIY pumpkin banner that cost next to nothing to make but looks super cute in the home. As you can see, I put my Fall bunting in my entry way so it gets noticed right when you walk in the house.
There are tons of places you can hang your pumpkin banner. It’s perfect for dressing up a mantel for holiday decor. A coffee bar would be another place to display your cute new pumpkin craft. Or, take it outside for some Fall porch decor.
When I finished this quick craft project, I had so many more ideas for this DIY Dollar Store Pumpkin Banner. I can’t wait to mix it up next year and many other years to come. I just love holiday decor that’s adaptable like this banner is.