This Creamy Mexican Chicken Crockpot recipe is a family favorite. Only a handful of simple ingredients in this delicious dump-and-go dinner make it a winner!
(THIS POST PROBABLY CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY IS LONG & BORING BUT, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE.)
Crockpot Creamy Mexican Chicken
If you’re looking for a super simple dinner recipe you’ve come to the right place. Throw some chicken, rotel, and cream of chicken soup in the crockpot and walk away. Hours later you’ve got delicious Creamy Mexican Chicken the whole family will love.
As we start to reach the hotter days of summer, I’ve been using my crockpot a lot more. It’s just too hot to turn the stove on. This Creamy Mexican Chicken Crockpot Recipe is a family favorite because it’s freaking delicious and there’s always plenty of leftovers for the next day.
This Mexican Chicken recipe actually started off as a casserole dish. In fact, I’m pretty sure the rest of the Shane family still makes it that way. When my family was living in Mexico City we didn’t have an oven so I had to adjust the recipe to work in the crockpot.
Turns out it’s much easier to make it that way so I never went back to the oven version. The big difference between the oven version and the crockpot one is the chicken. The casserole uses cooked, shredded chicken and the slow cooker recipe uses raw chicken.
When I make Creamy Mexican Chicken I don’t bother to defrost the chicken. It goes straight from the freezer into the crockpot, saving me tons of time. Use liners in the crockpot to make clean up just as easy as dinner!
Creamy Mexican Crockpot Chicken Ingredients
Making Creamy Mexican Chicken only needs three main ingredients:
- 3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 family sized can of Cream of Chicken Soup
Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Next, pour the cream of chicken soup over the chicken and then add the rotel over that. Give the soup and rotel a little mix to combine them a bit. Set the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through you will shred it. You don’t need to remove it from the crockpot. It should shred easily with two forks right in the slow cooker. Now you can leave the meal as is or add some more ingredients, which is what I do.
Creamy Mexican Chicken Add-ins
Here’s a couple of additional ingredients you can add to this recipe:
- black olives
- green onions
- black beans
- red bell peppers
- shredded cheese
You can also top with avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro.
Once the chicken is cooked and has been shredded you can add in some extras. Cheese is a must in our family. We also add sliced black olives and green onions. These can be add in 30 – 60 minutes before dinner.
You can also add in black beans or corn if you want. I absolutely hate corn in stuff but I know a lot of people like it and it would work for this recipe.
We eat Creamy Mexican Crockpot Chicken over rice. I make rice in the rice cooker about 20 minutes before dinner.
There will be leftovers. They heat up nicely for lunch the next day or you can mix the leftover rice into the creamy chicken and make burritos for dinner the next night.
Give this Creamy Mexican Chicken Crockpot recipe a try! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. It’s great to have an easy recipe with simple ingredients that can be thrown together but taste amazing. Plus, add-ins can change up the recipe so you never get sick of it.
Let me know in the comments what you think of the recipe once you’ve tried it and don’t forget to pin it for later!
Creamy Mexican Chicken
- 2-3 whole boneless chicken breasts frozen is fine
- 1 14.5 oz can rotel generic brand works just as good
- 1 28 oz can cream of chicken soup generic brand works too!
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 can black olives sliced
- 1-2 stalks green onions sliced
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 whole red bell pepper chopped
- 1 dallop sour cream
- 1 whole avacado sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- Place frozen or thawed chicken breast in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Pour the can of cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
- Pour the can of rotel on top and stir into the cream of chicken soup to blend the two together a bit.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
- Once the chicken is cooked, grab two forks and shred it right there in the crockpot. It should fall apart pretty easily.
- Stir in any add-ins you want and cook for another 30-60 minutes.
- 20 minutes before dinner, add some rice into a rice cooker.
- Serve the Creamy Mexican Chicken over cooked rice and top with sour cream, avocado, and/or cilantro.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.