This homemade whipped body butter winter recipe is simple but decadent. The peppermint cocoa scent smells heavenly, but better still, it’s made with natural ingredients that keep your dry, thirsty skin silky smooth and healthy.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any extra for making a purchase through these links but we earn a commission for purchases made through links. You can read more about it in our full disclosure.
Peppermint Cocoa Whipped Body Butter
Your thirsty skin deserves to be nourished with the best ingredients. Check out this indulgent, homemade peppermint cocoa Whipped Body Butter Winter Recipe made with only natural ingredients. Whip up a batch for yourself, or use our free labels and make some for your favorite friends and family this Christmas because it makes a great gift!
Why DIY your own Whipped Body Butter, and other personal products?
Dry skin during the winter can be a real issue. There are lots of lotions and potions on the store shelves that promise silky smooth skin, but there is something that’s not being advertised; those same lotions, body creams, and body butters are often full of harmful chemicals.
Did you know skin is the largest organ of your body? Or that what you put on your skin can go into your bloodstream?
Think about the patch people use to quit smoking. It goes directly on the skin so that person gets nicotine as soon as possible. So when we slather on those chemical laden products we are often putting a lot of chemicals into our system through our bloodstream.
This is why you should make your own products. You get to hand pick which ingredients go into the product and therefore into your body.
What you need to make your own Whipped Body Butter
Today, I’m showing you how to make a Peppermint Cocoa scented Whipped Body Butter that’s perfect for winter. You will be using both your stove top and your refrigerator or freezer during this process. Other things you need to help you make this body butter are:
- A measuring cup. – In this batch I’m making, a half cup was used, but really you need equal parts of the 4 main ingredients. If you were only making a single batch for your own use, a quarter cup would suffice.
- A way to melt the ingredients without burning them. If you have a double boiler, great. If you don’t then just use a pot with about an inch of water in the bottom and a glass bowl on top.
- Hot Pads
- Hand or standing mixer
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter – this is where the cocoa scent comes from. If you don’t like this, you can substitute for extra Shea Butter.
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Vitamin E Oil (optional)
- Peppermint Oil (or other essential oil of your choice)
Let’s get started!
1. Start by measuring out equal parts of the 4 main ingredients:
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil.
2. Add these four ingredients to your double boiler (or what you are using as a double boiler).
3. Heat up your ingredients making sure to stir them from time to time. As they melt, they will become liquid and translucent. Your ingredients are done melting once there are no solids left in the pot and it is all liquid.
4. Stir in the Vitamin E. You just need one dropper full.
5. You are then going to turn off the heat and use your hot pads to set the bowl aside to cool. You can put the mixture in the refrigerator or freezer to speed up the process but you don’t want the mixture to get too hard. Because of this, set a timer so you remember to check on it from time to time, especially if you put it in the freezer.
Also, glass can shatter if the temperature is changed too rapidly, so if using a glass bowl (like I did), set it aside to rest for awhile before transferring it to the fridge or freezer.
Ready to Whip it…Whip It Good!
Your mixture will be done cooling once it is back to being opaque and soft to the touch, with no liquid left. You don’t want to cool it so long that it hardens all the way back up, because that will make it much harder to whip.
Once it is cooled with no liquid left you can start mixing it using a standing mixer or your hand mixer. Using a hand mixer will take about 5 to 10 minutes. You want to keep mixing until it turns white in color and has the consistency of a light frosting.
Next, you will add in your essential oil. In this recipe, we used peppermint because it goes so nicely with the natural chocolate smell of the cocoa butter. It smells like a delicious treat, almost like a peppermint patty.
Peppermint oil is a strong oil though, so it’s always better to start with just a few drops. Mix it in, then give it a smell. If it’s to your liking, no need to add more. If it’s not quite strong enough, add a few more drops, and mix them in.
How to Store Body Butter
Now that your DIY Whipped Body Butter is ready, it’s time to transfer it to an airtight container. I used blue Ball jars. The metal lid really stays on tight, so my body butter stays fresh.
Obviously, you can use any air tight container but the blue jars add to the winter vibe. If you want to share some body butter as gifts, you could also use a smaller 4 oz container.
Extra Tips and Tricks for Making Whipped Body Butter
This DIY whipped body butter recipe is versatile. The peppermint cocoa scent works great for winter and Christmas gifts, but you might want something different for summer.
If you are sticking with the Cocoa Butter in the recipe, but want something besides peppermint, wild orange oil also works great for winter and mixes well with that natural chocolate smell.
If you want to take the chocolate smell out, you can double the Shea Butter and omit the Cocoa Butter, or you can substitute the Cocoa Butter portion with Mango Butter. Then you can add more floral or fruity smelling oils.
Also, store your body butter in a cool place. This recipe is made with oil that will melt in high temperature. If it melts all they way down then it will harden back up when it cools, and won’t have that creamy whipped texture. You can always rewhip it but it’s easier to store it properly.
Another thing to remember is you are working with natural ingredients so they don’t have preservatives. Only make an amount you will use within a few months, so it’s nice and fresh. Now that you own the ingredients, you can always make more as you need it.
Are you ready to make this healthy DIY Whipped Body Butter Winter Recipe? Your thirsty skin will thank you. Remember, this makes an awesome gift that shows you care about your friend’s and family’s health and only want them to use the best ingredients. But don’t forget to save a bit for yourself. You deserve some pampering too!