Learn what the best essential oils for beards are and why they work so well. Then customize a homemade beard oil for the men in your life that will condition his beard and make it grow strong and healthy.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any extra for making a purchase through these links but we earn a commission for purchases made through links. You can read more about it in our full disclosure.
Homemade Beard Oil for Growth and Conditioning
Have you noticed that beards are all the rage lately?! I was never a huge fan until recently. My husband grew one during quarantine because, why not! And now I can’t imagine him without it.
Now, I’m a beard girl and believe me when I say I notice a nicely trimmed, tame beard and smile. Did you know that it takes work it get a beard looking good? This is where essential oils and beard oil comes into play.
Essential Oils for Beards
Did you know certain essential oils are great for beards? They can help produce softer beards that grow better. Using essential oils that promote good skin care are also great because health skin promotes a healthy beard.
Here are the 7 best essential oils for beards and why I prefer to use them in homemade beard oil:
- Reduces acne breakouts
- Helps keep the hair clear of bacteria
- Soothes skin
- Controls dandruff
- Helps against skin dryness
- Fights dandruff
- Helps fight blackheads
- Antifungal and antibacterial
- Helps dry skin
- Anti inflammatory
- Stops itchy skin
- Boost hair growth
- Fights against dandruff
- Helps soften beard hair and makes it shiny
- Can help thicken hair
- Can help prevent hair loss
- Helps treat and prevent lice
- Increases hair growth
- Helps treat psoriasis and dermatitis
- Helps prevent itchiness and dryness
- Promotes hair growth
- Adds moisture to dry hair
- The smell helps fight anxiety
- Has antioxidant properties
- Makes your pores healthy which promotes hair growth
- Strengthens hair follicles
- Helps cleanse any bacteria on the beard hair
- Helps purify the skin by getting rid of dirt
Now that we know what essential oils to use for strong healthy beards, how do we apply them? Beard oil is the answer.
You can always buy beard oil but it’s easy to make it. And as always, when you make your own beard oil you get to customize it for what your (or your partner’s) skin and beard needs are.
What exactly is in beard oil?
Beard oil is usually made up of two things. Some kind of carrier oil and essential oils.
Carrier oils make up for most of the beard oil. Most are extracted from nuts, kernels or other types of plants. They can be applied directly to the skin and help with conditioning and well being of the hair.
Essential oils help with hair growth and overall wellness of the hair and skin. They are also where the scent comes from. Essential oils are a concentrated compound that is taken from plant materials such as leaves, bark and stems.
What does a beard oil actually do?
Beard oil is going to help soften and tame that coarse, wiry beard hair. The beard oil is also going to moisturize the skin underneath which helps with flaky skin and irritation.
Depending on what you are looking for, it can also smell amazing. Beard oil can also help the beard grow if that’s what you are looking for.
The Best Carrier Oils for Beard Oil
We went over the best essential oils for beards so now let’s go over the best carrier oils for beards. Then you’ll know exactly which ones you want to put in your beard oil based on your own skin and beard requirements.
- Enters the skin very quickly
- Leaves hair soft and shiny
- Contains vitamins, proteins and minerals
- Won’t irritate the skin
- Helps beard hair look shiny and soft
- Supports hair growth
- Lubricates hair well
- Doesn’t clog pores or irritate skin
- Great for eczema and psoriasis
- Relieves itchy and inflamed skin
- Prevents hair from breaking off
- Helps skin retain moisture and conditions the hair well
- Helps skin inflammation
- Protect the beard from environmental elements
- Gives basic nutrients to hair follicles
- Contains vitamin E
- Has antibacterial properties
- Rich in fatty acids such as biotin which is great for hair strength and growth
- Helps prevent hair breakage
- Penetrates the skin without making hair look greasy
- Helps to eliminate frizz
- Conditions the skin
- Stimulates hair growth
- Helps unclog pores
- Can calm temporary redness of the skin
- Great for dry skin
- Helps boost beard growth
- Helps get rid of eczema
- Contains essential minerals and nutrients
- Is a natural sun screen
- Helps prevent or get rid of acne
- Won’t clog pores or irritate skin
- Helps reduce pore inflammation
- Great for oily or sensitive skin
- Is a great moisturizer
What to Consider Before Making Beard Oil
Now that you know what goes into beard oil, we need to think about skin and hair types. If you know the person that you are making the beard oil well, like your husband, you should know if he tends to get beard dandruff or if he gets itchy.
Is his skin oily or dry under his beard?
Is he trying to grow his beard out longer or is he leaving it a certain length and trimming it when it gets too long?
Considered all of those things when choosing your carrier oil and essential oils for your beard oil concoction. Once you know what essential oils and carrier oils you want to use you can use this basic recipe to make your own beard oil.
A basic beard oil recipe is just:
1 oz of carrier oil and 10 drops of essential oils
You can now break down those measurements to create your own special beard oil. For example, if you know your partner has sensitive skin and looking for beard growth then you might want to use 1/2 oz of grapeseed oil and 1/2 oz of castor oil as your base and then cedarwood and lavender oil as the essential oils.
Beard Oil Recipe
If you are new to all of this and are nervous to create your own custom beard oil then don’t worry. I’ve got you covered.
Here’s my favorite beard oil recipe because I think it works well for all beard types. It’s a great general beard oil so you can make it for anyone. You can put it in a 1 oz glass amber bottle with a dropper or in a plastic squeeze 1 oz bottle. Which ever you have on hand or prefer. The glass amber bottles with dropper will help keep your beard oil fresh for longer.
- 1/2 oz Jojoba Oil
- 1/2 oz Sweet Almond Oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drop tea tree essential oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- Pour Jojoba oil and Sweet Almond oil in dropper.
- Next add the essential oils.
- Put on lid and shake well.
How to Use Beard Oil
When applying to face, add 4 to 5 drops in various places on beard. Rub through your beard hair and massage around and into skin. For further care, brush or comb through to smooth out your beard.
Again, this recipe is for general use. You can certainly come up with a different combination or essential oils to come up with a different scent.
Below are a few more options for scents that pair well together:
- Lemon, eucalyptus and tea tree
- Cedarwood, peppermint and tea tree
- Orange, Cedarwood and Lavender
- Tea Tree and eucalyptus
- Tea Tree and Cedarwood
- Peppermint, Tea Tree and Orange
- Tea Tree, Lemon and Eucalyptus
Beard Oil with Essential Oils Labels
DIY Beard oil makes a great gift! Customize some oil for the men in your life for birthdays, father’s day, teacher appreciation week or just for fun.
These fun labels make it easy to give your homemade beard oil a professional look. Just hit the download button and you’ll get a sheet of 6 labels that you can print, cut out, and add to your bottle. You can print on regular paper and just add a little tape to hold it in place or buy some sticker sheets and use those.