Easy American Flag Fruit Pizza Sugar Cookie Recipe
Learn how to make an easy and delicious fruit pizza at home for your next BBQ or 4th of July get together. This yummy recipe has fruit toppings which makes it is a lot less sugary than a lot of desserts.
(THIS POST PROBABLY CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY IS LONG & BORING BUT, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE.)
Patriotic Fruit Pizza
Have you been searching for a delicious summer treat to take to BBQ’s, July 4th Picnics, and Memorial day cookouts? Look no further.
A dessert pizza is perfect for any patriotic holiday, or just for any occasion really. It combines savory and sweet, with the healthiness of fruit so you can feel like you are eating dessert and eating healthy to.
To make this patriotic dessert we use a sugar cookie crust. We used the pre-made Pillsbury brand sugar cookie dough and it makes this recipe that much faster and easier. You can also make the cookie crust from scratch, of course, but do yourself a favor and grab the Pillsbury kind to speed up your time in the kitchen.
This recipe does not disappoint. I made it for a small get together and was worried I would have tons of left overs. The whole thing was gone before my guest left!
It is such a tasty dessert that they just kept coming back for more. And with such a fun recipe, who can resist a flag pizza made from fruit, sugar cookies and cream cheese frosting?
What Do You Need To Make a Fourth of July Fruit Pizza
There are a few things you’re going to need to get started.
- a pizza tin or baking sheet
- parchment paper
- non-stick cooking spray
- a large mixing bowl
- electric hand mixer
- fresh fruit such as strawberries, blue berries, raspberries or bananas
- a package of cream cheese
- whipped topping
- powdered sugar
- Pillsbury sugar cookie pre-made dough
- white chocolate chips (optional)
There are two different ways you can make your fruit pizza. I choose to go with a flag pattern but you can make your’s round so it’s more of a pizza shape. You can still add the fresh berries in cute, patriotic pattern to the round shape and it looks great. This is totally based on your preference or pan situation.
Tips For Making the Best Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza
This is such an easy dessert to make but there are a couple of things you can do to make sure it turns out perfect.
- I like to wash my fruit in a vinegar bath to remove any dirt or mold. This can be done by simply adding 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water in a big mixing bowl with your fruit. Let the fruit sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off. Let the fruit sit out on a kitchen towel to dry. Then cut your fruit.
- Do not put wet fruit on your pizza if you do not plan on eating it soon. The wetness of the fruit can make your creamy frosting watery.
- Spray your parchment paper with a non-stick spray. You do not want your cookie crust to break or stick to the parchment paper when you try and transfer it off or cut it.
- If you decide to use bananas remember that they brown pretty quickly and need to be added right before eating to help make the pizza look it’s best.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before you try making the frosting. Other wise you will get lumps.
- I used the lower fat cream cheese and you could not tell one bit! It did not take away from the taste and made the cream cheese mixture and overall American flag fruit pizza that much more healthy.
- Make sure cookie crust has cooled completely before layering. This again will ensure it stays fresh for longer and that the cream cheese frosting won’t get watery or melt.
- If you can not find Pillsbury sugar cookie dough in the roll, you can also use the individual sugar cookie kind as your sugar cookie base. I use that and just flattened everything out with my hands and rolling pin.
How to Make a Sugar Cookie Pizza
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray
- Press sugar cookie dough onto parchment paper. Try to make it as even as possible for best baking results.
- Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. DO NOT OVER COOK or the crust will be crunchy. You want that chewy cookie crust.
- While the crust is cooking you need to slice your strawberries to make the red stripes on the flag. If you aren’t a big strawberry fan then you can always use fresh raspberries.
- In a medium bowl add room temperature cream cheese. Beat with electric mixer for a minute to smooth out.
- Add 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Add 1 – 10 ounce container of whipped cream and beat ingredients until smooth
- Once your sugar cookie crust has cooled completely (around 30 minutes), add your cream cheese frosting mixture on top. Spread evenly as best you can.
- Now it is time to add your fruit. Put blueberries in a square in the left hand top corner. Then proceed to make your fresh strawberry stripes. Leave a bit of space in between the strawberry stripes so the white stripes look even to them. I added white chocolate chips to the fresh blueberries to represent the stars on the American Flag but that is entirely optional.
Have you ever made a fruit pizza before? If so, how did you like it? Let us know in the comments. We would love to hear from you if you try this recipe. Let us know how you and your guest liked it.
You May Also Like:
Easy Blueberry and Strawberry Galette Recipe
DIY Patriotic Deco Mesh Wreath For Cheap
Easy Lemonade Pie, Simple Yet Delicious
Patriotic Fruit Pizza
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 electric hand mixer
- 1 cookie sheet or pie pan
- 16 ounce Pillsbury sugar cookie dough
- 8 ounce cream cheese, soften
- 10 ounce tub of whipped cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries
- fresh blue berries
- handful of white chocolate chips ( Optional )
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray. This should give you the best baking results so the crust doesn't stick
- Press sugar cookie dough into the shape you want. I did a rectangle so it will look like a flag when it is done. Try to press as evenly as possible.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown. If you over cook it, it will be very crunchy. Some people like that and that is okay too.
- While the crust is baking, wash your fruit and cut what needs to be cut. I cut my strawberries into strips so they could easily make the stripes of the flag.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl you want to beat your cream cheese until it is smooth
- Next you want to add your vanilla, powdered sugar and whipped cream topping. Beat with the electric mixer until it is all smooth and mixed together.
- Once your sugar cookie crust as cooled completely, you want to spread your cream cheese mixture on top of crust.
- Then you will make your flag design. I started with forming the blue berries into a square in the top left corner.
- Then you make your red stripes with the strawberries all down the fruit pizza.
- Finish it off with the white chocolate stars if you are using those.
- Serve as soon as possible or refrigerate if you are not serving for a while.
- This can easily serve 8 to 10 people