As daughters of God, we have learned that motherhood is an eternal, holy calling. With these 45 beautiful quotes for the women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (and really all women of faith), we celebrate ourselves, our mothers, and our mother figures.
(THIS POST PROBABLY CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY IS LONG & BORING BUT, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE.)
Mothers and Mother Figures are Amazing
Mothers hold a special place in all of our hearts. Our own stories begin with our mothers. So as mother’s day nears, let’s take a moment to reflect on all the things our mothers have done for us, and the ways all the mother figures in our lives inspire us.
To quote the blogger Stephanie Precourt, “There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed, but in the eyes, hearts, and mind of your child, you are super mom!”
We are all super moms to our families, but sometimes it can be hard not to compare ourselves to others in our wards, or friend groups. It can be hard not to expect perfection from ourselves.
When we are in the thick of it, sometimes we need a reminder about how amazing we truly are. So to help with that, here are 45 LDS quotes about mothers and motherhood from prophets and apostles, church leaders, and even historical figures on why we as moms and/or mother figures are wonderful, and awe-inspiring.
LDS Quotes about Mothers and Motherhood from Prophets and Apostles
The following quotes about mothers or motherhood are from either a prophet, members of the first presidency, or members of the quorum of the twelve apostles.
1. “Motherhood is the noblest and greatest of all callings.” -L. Tom Perry
2. “There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother.” -Boyd K. Packer
3. “Mother’s, we acknowledge and esteem your faith in every footstep. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
4. “In her high duty and service to humanity endowing with immortality eternal spirits, she is co-partner with the Creator himself,” – President David O. McKay
5. “The greatest job that any mother will ever do will be in nurturing, teaching, lifting, encouraging, and rearing her children in righteousness and truth. None other can adequately take her place.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley
6. “No more sacred word exists in secular or holy writ than that of mother. There is no more noble work than that of a good and God-fearing mother.” -President Ezra Taft Benson
7. “The highest and noblest work in this life is that of a mother.” -Russell M. Nelson
8. “There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood. The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” -James E. Faust
9. “Who can justly measure the righteous influence of a mother’s love? What enduring fruits result from the seeds of truth that a mother carefully plants and lovingly cultivates in the fertile soil of a child’s trusting mind and heart? As a mother, you have been given divine instincts to help you sense your child’s special talents and unique capabilities.” -Richard G. Scott
10. “One certain way each can demonstrate genuine love for mother is to live the truths mother so patiently taught.” -President Thomas S. Monson
11. “If you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you to do. ” -Jeffrey R. Holland
12. “Because mothers are essential to God’s great plan of happiness, their sacred work is opposed by Satan, who would destroy the family and demean the worth of women.” -Russell M. Nelson
13. “What mothers do is an essential element of Christ’s work.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
14. “The love of a true mother comes nearer to being like the love of God than any other kind of love.” -President Joseph F. Smith
15. “No society will long survive without mothers who care for their young and provide that nurturing care so essential for their normal development.” -President Ezra Taft Benson
16. “There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother.” -Boyd K. Packer
17. “The work of a mother is hard, too often unheralded work. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
18. “The joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.” -M. Russell Ballard
19. “You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley
20. “To all the mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle – and all will – I say, ‘Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
21. “There is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood.” -M. Russell Ballard
22. “No love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
23. “Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.” -First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
24. “If one dishonors the commandments of God, one dishonors mother, and, if one dishonors mother, one dishonors the commandments of God.” -Russell M. Nelson
25. “There is not a higher good than motherhood and fatherhood in marriage. There is no superior career, and no amount of money, authority, or public acclaim can exceed the ultimate rewards of family.” -D. Todd Christofferson
LDS Quotes about Mothers and Motherhood from Church Leaders
This next section of quotes are from leaders in the church, both male and female.
26. “When you observe kind and gentle mothers in action, you see women of great strength.” -Margaret D. Nadauld
27. “Let us help our mothers and wives be happy in our homes. Let us love them, honor them, respect them, revere them.” -H. Burke Peterson
28. “When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children. There is eternal influence and power in motherhood.” -Julie B. Beck
29. “Perhaps the reason we respond so universally to our mothers’ love is because it typifies the love of our savior.” -Bradley D. Foster
30. “In stressful moments- perhaps when you are chasing little ones and a charred smell from the kitchen informs you that your lovingly prepared dinner is now a burnt offering- know that God sanctifies your most difficult days.” -Brian K. Taylor
31. “Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us.” -Sheri Dew
32. “There is eternal influence and power in motherhood.” -Julie B. Beck
LDS Quotes from Church Leaders about Mother Figures
The following quotes are from church leaders, both male and female. They are about the inspiring women of the church who are mother figures in the lives they touch, if they have their own children or not.
33. “Becoming a covenant woman in partnership with God is how great and good daughters of God have always mothered, led, and ministered.” -Henry B. Eyring
34. “No woman is a more vibrant instrument in the hands of the Lord than a women of God who is thrilled to be who she is.” -Sheri Dew
35. “Daughters of God know that it is the nurturing nature of women that can bring everlasting blessings, and they live to cultivate this divine attribute.” -Margaret D. Nadauld
36. “Few of us will reach our potential without the nurturing of both the mother who bore us and the mothers who bear with us.” -Sheri Dew
37. “To help another human being reach one’s celestial potential is part of the divine mission of women.” -Presidents Russel M. Nelson
38. “Every girl and woman who makes and keeps sacred covenants can have a mother heart. There is no limit to what a woman with a mother heart can accomplish.” -Julie B. Beck
39. “A righteous woman’s strength and influence are great. Her opportunities to create safe havens for struggling souls are abundant.” -Virginia U. Jensen
40. “It is simply not possible to measure or limit the influence a righteous woman has.” -Sheri Dew
41. “For those who have not yet borne a child-exercise motherhood. Let your arms be an extension of the Saviors in providing love and security for all his children.” -Mary F. Foulger
Quotes about Mothers from Historical Figures
This next section features quotes by former presidents of the United States on mothers.
42. “The bond between mothers and their children is one defined by love. As a mother’s prayers for her children are unending, so are the wisdom, grace, and strength they provide to their children.” -George W. Bush
43. “Mothers are the rocks of our families and a foundation in our communities. In gratitude for their generous love, patient counsel, and lifelong support, let us pay respect to the women who carry out the hard work of motherhood with skill and grace, and let us remember those mothers who, though no longer with us, inspire us still.” -Barack Obama
44. All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” -Abraham Lincoln
45. “From my mother I learned the value of prayer, how to have dreams and believe I could make them come true.” -Ronald Reagan
We are Thankful for Mothers and Motherhood
The influence of a righteous woman is so very important. As daughters of God, let us strive to embrace our divine roles. Beautiful mothers, and mother figures, we salute your hard work and dedication to raising the next generation, and we wish you a very Happy Mother’s Day.
If you would like even more inspiration, the book, ‘Are We Not All Mothers’ by Sheri Dew is wonderful. Another great choice would be, ‘To Mothers: Carrying the Torch’ by Jeffrey R. Holland and Patricia A Holland.
We hope you enjoyed these LDS quotes about mothers and motherhood, and that you will read them whenever you need a little support and positive vibes. Remember to share your favorites with the special women in your life, especially when they are struggling. Let’s always support each other in our journeys, and lift each other up with words of encouragement and love.
You might also like: